House Dress Tutorial and FREE sewing pattern
We love this pretty dress, the fabric, and the style, and can’t wait to share it with you. It can be difficult to sew clothes, we won’t deny it, because fitting can sometimes be a challenge. Especially with children – they grow so fast that if the fit was a little too snug, in no time, it will be too tight and can’t be worn again. However, a lot of these issues are not a problem with this easy dress pattern. Although it’s designed for a woven (non-stretch) fabric, it has many of the benefits of a knit dress.
It’s nice and loose-fitting, falling simply from where it fits at the shoulders, and the elastic neckline makes it easy to get on and off without any complication zipper, poppers, buttons, or other closures. Therefore it can be more forgiving in terms of fit and can also fit for longer as the little girl grows. You can even add on a frill to the bottom later if you just need to add some length.
The designer has named this dress the Easy Summer Muumuu House Dress, where the muumuu or mu’umu’u is a loose dress of Hawaiian origin that hangs from the shoulder. It’s a very much easy-on and easy-off dress that has no buttons or ties.
By having an elastic neckline the designer has made a dress that combines the beauty of cotton with the ease of stretch. The dress in this example will most 3-6-year-olds who are approximately 30-40lbs.
To make this wonderful dress you will need 1.5 yards of cotton or linen fabric and 22″ of 1/4″ wide elastic.
Check out the free pattern below and the very comprehensive step-by-step sewing tutorial.
Click here for the FREE tutorial & pattern
OUR VERY BEST PATTERNS
Looking for the best of the best kid’s sewing patterns? This article is one of the TOP 20 Most Visited on the Sew Modern Kids site in the last 12 months. Here is the full list of our Top 20 most popular patterns:
- 20+ Girls Dresses (free)
- Blitzen booties slippers newborn to adult with video
- Reversible baby romper newborn to 6 years
- Toms inspired baby and toddler shoes (free)
- Baby Sleep Sack (free)
- Double-Sided Fabric Headband (free)
- Adorably soft baby scratch mittens (free with video)
- Newborn Baby Gown (free)
- Maggie’s Stay-On Baby Booties (0-24 months)
- DIY Baby Swing (free)
- Girls Dress with Peter Pan Collar (6mths-3yrs) (free)
- Bunny Rabbit and Bear Stuffed Animal Doll
- Lapped front baby hoodie 0-3 months (free)
- Toddler Bucket Hat (free)
- Reversible Zen A-Line Dress – any size (free)
- The Cutest Baby Shoes, Boots, and Slippers (Best 20)
- Sydney pinafore dress 12mths – 4T (free)
- Happy Hobby Horse
- Knit Baby Leggings (free)
- House Dress (free)
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.