Newborn Baby Gown FREE sewing pattern and tutorial
Here’s a FREE pattern and tutorial that the designer, Stitched Together, created to celebrate all babies, your own or your friends.
This is the newborn gown. It’s adorable and cute, and also very practical! It is created to be worn for the first three months or so, to help you ease through those middle-of-the-night diaper changes. It is the perfect gift for new parents to be!
This pattern is intended to fit an 8 lb (or 3.6 kg) newborn, and it has been made with room to allow your baby to grow. Therefore, it will likely be large on a true newborn, but a newborn grows pretty fast, so it’s better to have a little more space so the little one can wear it for the first few months of his life.
What you will need to make a Newborn Baby Gown:
- 1-yard of medium weight knit fabric which has been prewashed,
- One 1.5″ long by 9.5″wide strip of knit fabric for the front binding,
- One 1.5″ long by 9″ wide strip of knit fabric for the back binding,
- Two 1.5″ long by 6.5″ wide strips of knit fabric, if you would like to use binding on the sleeves. Or you can hem the sleeves,
- A ballpoint or stretch needle,
- A double needle is optional,
- 16″ of 1/2″ elastic,
- 100% polyester thread or stretch thread,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
Another tip that the creator of this pattern shares with us is that while using knit fabric, we should always make sure to prewash and machine dry it before using it. Knit fabrics shrink quite a lot, so she highly recommends not skipping this step!
Finally, we would like to give the designer our many thanks for creating this pattern and sharing it with us all for FREE. Just click on the button below and you will get access to the pdf pattern and the step-by-step tutorial with lots of photos to help you along the way!
Click here to get the FREE pattern
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
OUR VERY BEST PATTERNS
Looking for the best of the best kid’s sewing patterns? This article is one of the TOP 20 Most Visited on the Sew Modern Kids site in the last 12 months. Here is the full list of our Top 20 most popular patterns:
- 20+ Girls Dresses (free)
- Blitzen booties slippers newborn to adult with video
- Reversible baby romper newborn to 6 years
- Toms inspired baby and toddler shoes (free)
- Baby Sleep Sack (free)
- Double-Sided Fabric Headband (free)
- Adorably soft baby scratch mittens (free with video)
- Newborn Baby Gown (free)
- Maggie’s Stay-On Baby Booties (0-24 months)
- DIY Baby Swing (free)
- Girls Dress with Peter Pan Collar (6mths-3yrs) (free)
- Bunny Rabbit and Bear Stuffed Animal Doll
- Lapped front baby hoodie 0-3 months (free)
- Toddler Bucket Hat (free)
- Reversible Zen A-Line Dress – any size (free)
- The Cutest Baby Shoes, Boots, and Slippers (Best 20)
- Sydney pinafore dress 12mths – 4T (free)
- Happy Hobby Horse
- Knit Baby Leggings (free)
- House Dress (free)