DIY Baby Shoes FREE sewing pattern (Sizes 0-15 months)
This is the DIY Baby Shoes FREE pdf sewing pattern from Spoonflower. The pattern comes in five sizes from 0-3 months to 12-15 months.
You can keep little feet protected by making these handmade baby shoes which are both soft and flexible! By using just two fat quarters of fabric, these baby shoes make a great stash-busting project, or you can mix-and-match fabric designs to make multiple pairs from one yard.
The options for tiny toes are endless. When choosing a fabric Spoonflower says you should stick to lightweight woven fabrics like Organic Cotton Sateen (the fabric we used for this tutorial!), Cotton Poplin, or Lightweight Cotton Twill. Thicker fabrics are more difficult to work with, especially when you’re working with multiple layers. For a pair of shoes with a little stretch, Modern Jersey or Organic Cotton Knit will do the trick.
When you’re choosing the design for your shoes, scale is key! At the largest size, a finished baby shoe is only 5″ long by 2.5″ wide, so you’ll want to choose a design with smaller design elements. To help narrow your results when searching the Marketplace, try adding ditsy to your search terms. A ditsy print is small in scale, and the design motifs are usually scattered or random rather than being ordered in a definable pattern like rows or stripes.
Spoonflower also recommends previewing designs on a swatch instead of a fat quarter or yard. To adjust your preview, select the swatch option in the Choose-a-Size drop-down menu once you’ve selected your design. This will give you a better idea of what parts of the design will fit within your shoe pattern pieces.
The pattern comes in FIVE sizes with the measurements for each size based on the sole of the shoe below:-
- Size 1 (0-3 months) = 3.75″ length,
- Size 2 (3-6 months) = 4″ length,
- Size 3 (6-9 months) = 4.25″ length,
- Size 4 (9-12 months) = 4.5″ length,
- Size 5 (12-15 months) = 4.75-5″ length.
What you will need to make a pair of DIY Baby Shoes:-
- Outer Fabric: one fat quarter or ¼ yard,
- Lining Fabric: one fat quarter or ¼ yard,
- Sole Fabric: one fat quarter. Faux leather will provide a nice grip for a standing or walking baby but you can also use Tulip® Puffy™ Dimensional Fabric Paint to create a fun non-slip sole pattern!*
- ¼ yard of fusible lightweight interfacing,
- ¼” wide braided elastic – the length will be determined by the shoe size but will require no more than 10″,
- ¼ yard fusible batting (for extra cushion, optional)
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
If you would like to download the FREE pattern you can click on the purple button below.
Click here for the FREE pattern
Even more free kids sewing patterns here -->If this isn't quite what you are looking for but you really want a free pattern, then do take a scroll through our Free Kids Sewing Patterns Pinterest board. Pin and save all of your favorite sewing patterns to your own boards to make them easy to find later. Don't forget to pin this pattern too.
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.